We are a place of liberation, refuge, reconciliation, and restoration where the sovereign favor of God is manifest and the people are transformed into the image of Christ from Glory to Glory.
On August 22 in the year of our Lord Eighteen Hundred and Sixty Eight a group of men became dedicated to building a place of worship.
They organized as Trustees and purchased one and one half acres of land from Mr. Ruffin Prince. These men consisted of the following: Bob Dennis, Edward Prince, Andrew Yarborough, Green Haleman, and Squire Cross.Within two years they built a church and gave it the name of Prince Chapel in honor of the man from which the land was purchased.
On September 11, 1873 the same one and one half acres of land was transferred to the newly elected trustees. They were Squire Cross, Daniel Marks, Handy Cross, Samuel Thomas, Marshall Ragland, Marshall Barham, and Henderson Nash. On December 26, 1882, Mr. Ruffin Prince and wife S.A. Prince transferred the adjoining one and one half acres of land for burial ground.
Ministers that served during this time were Jones, Burnette, Roberts, Prichard, Floyd, Ridley, Ragland, and Woods. On August 1, 1927 an agreement was made for digging the church well between Reese Marks and the then current Trustees. The Trustees were as follows: A.D. Ragland, Anderson Cross, Young Prince, P.D. Cross, Young Judd, Wesley Judd, and Ben McDonald.
Additional Church Repairs / Improvements
Choir loft was erected - Rev. A.L. Sinclair (1929)New Roof /Brick Siding - Rev. G.M. Griffin
Began tradition of church anniversary - Rev. J. O. Markham
Began building fund/Purchased Pulpit furniture & new carpeting - Rev. J. H. Cotton
Church was brick veneered, added two rooms & purchased new pews - Rev. J. L. Durden
More pews, heating & cooling System, initiated plans for a Fellowship Hall - Rev. H.W. Isaac
Completed planning & construction of Fellowship Hall - Rev. J. Isaac
Planning & construction of new church building - Rev. C. Jones (1999)
New floor, new heating, new cooling and new cabinets for Fellowship Hall - Rev. C. Jones
Purchase of first church van - Rev. C. Jones
History of Prince Chapel CME Church Pastors
Rev. W.F. Jones
Rev. A.L. Sinclair
Rev. C.H. Reid
Rev. J.W. Roberts
Rev. H. Lee
Rev. H.W. Wheeler
Rev. D.S. Ray
Rev. D.S. Ray
Rev. J. Markham
Rev. H.P. Rogers
Rev. J.H. Cotton
Rev. J. Griffin
Rev. J.L. Durden
Rev. S. Womack
Rev. J. Isaac
Rev. J.J. Ridley
Rev. C. C. Jones